on the path of God's leading in pursuit of His glory

Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Testimony

Last fall, there was a lady who was referred to me by one of my Bible study ladies.  She had just discovered her husband's unfaithfulness.  My heart went out to her so much!  She was so angry and so hurt, so my 1st time with her I just sat and listened.  

Over the next few weeks I tried to build a relationship with her.  I shared different aspects of God's love for her as much as I could.  This was always met with anger, why would God allow this, and questions.  I did my best to tell her the truth as it was found in Scriptures.  She had the world's view of the Gospel that I worked at combating plus she had her own ideas of what a Christian was.  It took an incredible amount of determination and patience and just being there for her.  But love broke through.

I thought for sure she just wasn't interested in God or anything about Him, she just wanted my company.  One time, after much discussion about the Gospel, I finally just asked her if she wanted to ask Him into her life.  She looked at me and said that if it was something that she should do, then she wanted to do it.  Simple as that!  So I prayed with her to accept Jesus as her Savior.   I left her with the small green book The Romans Road to Salvation and left.

I wasn't able to check back in with her for about a week, but when I called, she told me that she just couldn't stop reading that little green book.  She propped it up everywhere she went and read it.  God is so good!  When I finally got back to her, there was a definite countenance change.  I don't think I had ever seen her so happy.  I wish I could say that it remained, but it didn't.

The next few months became warfare for her soul!  Usually there is a grace period when someone comes into the Kingdom.  Her grace period lasted only a week or 2.  But I prayed, called and visited with her often, giving her hope and encouragement.  She just clicked with one of the young ladies in the Bible study group, she herself had just rededicated her life to the Lord.  These 2 struck up a hard fast relationship, they were a generation apart in age, but that worked for them.  The new convert became grandma to the young one's small children.

During the holidays, she had a time to get away to her daughter's place in Jersey.  She needed it.  While there, they talked of her moving there on a more permanent basis.  It took a couple of months but she finally made the move.  I was worried that if she left, that she would abandon the Lord because life would become easier.  I had given her the New Testament on CDs, and asked her to please take them so that she could stay strong.

Yesterday I got a call from her.  We chatted a bit.  She is so happy being there and has made the decision to stay and not return to her home.  I asked her if she remembered to take the CDs with her.  She had and she listens to them often. Yay!  She was so excited, she said that when the TV show Jeopardy came on and there were opportunities to answer Biblical questions, not only did she know what they saying now, but she also got the questions right! Double Yay!

The Holy Spirit is so wonderful and so good!  His desires is to see men set free and to succeed in their growth in Him.  I am still praying for her and hoping she finds a fellowship close by in which to grow with.  So if you think about her please pray for her.  She still needs the body of Christ to gather around her even if its only in prayer at the moment.

1 comment:

Jacque said...

WOW! God is SO gracious & SO good! That is so wonderful! I am glad your ministry with these women is going well! Praise God!