on the path of God's leading in pursuit of His glory

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Yada, Yada, Yada


I had just gotten in my minivan after a really neat opening God  gave me to share the Gospel with 2 young ladies who were giving me my perm.  They were talking about sex outside of marriage which opened the door for me to share. When I turned on the radio, Focus on the Family was on.  They had a guest who was talking about the word "yada".  She said that you often hear people flippantly used the phrase, "Yada, yada, yada" when they mean “yakity-yak-yak”- empty words that means nothing.  That couldn’t be further from the truth.  

Then she began to talk about Genesis 4:1, when it says that Adam knew his wife Eve and she became pregnant. The word used in this context is the same word in the Hebrew to mean “to know” or to know intimately.  She said the Hebrew word is actually “ya-da” which simply means to know, to be known, to be respected. This is also the same word used for "Be still and know that I Am God." found in Psalms 46:10.

She went on to say that this word is used in the Bible so much more in terms of getting to know God intimately than it was used to refer to the physical act.  God’s desire is for us to pursuit Him to get to “know” Him.  I thought it’s probably the same word Moses used in Exodus 33:13 when he made a request for God to show him His ways that he may “know” Him.  Moses wanted more than just His ways, but to “know” Him, to know God intimately.  He wanted to get into the heart of God.  I went home, studied that word and found so much more.
  
When a couple marries, they learn to know their spouses interests, their concerns, their quirks.  Intimacy is more than just physical; it’s getting to know that person.  There are special things that only the 2 of them know.   That is the same with our Lord.   Another definition to the word "ya-da" is to be privy to.   There are certain things that God will reveal to you only in the secret place.   Jeremiah 33:3 says, “Call to Me [pursuit Me], and I will answer you, and tell you [some versions say, ‘show you’] great and unsearchable things you do not know.” 

I found it very interesting that that particular show would be on after the conversation I had with these girls.  Not only is it a lesson for these girls, it's a lesson for us as well.  So make time in that busy schedule to get to know, “ya-da” God.  Shove away from anything that hinders that kind of fellowship with Him.  It’s a price worth paying!

3 comments:

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

Very cool.

Vicki said...

thanks Deb! That is a great message to think on. To "know" God-wow no greater joy or peace. So I say Ya-da ya-da ya-da! That is wonderful.

Jacque said...

I agree with Vicki! Ya-da Ya-da
Ya-da Ya-da Ya-da!!