on the path of God's leading in pursuit of His glory

Friday, February 3, 2012

TMI - Too Much Information!


The radio talk show hosts were discussing the recent presidential primary.  The comment was made that the more the candidates talk the more mistakes they will be making.  That is true of anybody not just the candidates.   The Scriptures are full of passages warning that for the one who talks too much it will become their undoing.   Proverbs 10:8b says, “. . . and a chattering fool comes to ruin.”  And verse 19 says, “When words are many, sin is not absent, . . .”   

The latest craze on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter is to be completely open about what you are doing at any given moment, to be real about your feelings.  As Christians we are to be honest before others.  But it’s one thing to be honest and another thing to be bare.  It seems discretion is a foreign idea on these sites.  As Christians we are to be witnesses 24/7.  The more open you are, the more that is revealed about the true nature of your heart.  Jesus chastised the Pharisees when He said, “For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.” Matthew 12:34. 

Many believe that because their settings are private that what they say will stay where it’s posted.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  People know people.  Bosses do gain access.  Colleges do find out one way or another the information they seek.  Friends talk to friends.  Not only that, what has been posted cannot be undone whether you delete it or forget it.  Don’t be quick to post or send a rash statement into cyber-space, then regret what has been said later.   The second half of verse 19 says, “ . . . but he who holds his tongue is wise.”

“But I tell you that men will have to give account

on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.

For by your words you will be acquitted, 

and by your words you will be condemned.”

Matthew 12:36-37

4 comments:

Jacque said...

I used to be a lot more open on FB than I am now. I would just post whatever I felt like posting, thinking it is my wall after all, right?! Now I am more concerned about hurting others as I have been hurt so many times! I think about what I post & who is on my friends list before I post it. So many people don't care at all. If I have something real personal to say or ask prayer for, I will inbox message my trusted group of friends who I know care about me! We all need to be more careful these days as we are in the end times & you never know who is really watching you!! I am also trying to be more of a witness with my posts!

Debbie said...

Yep, you're right. Words have an impact whether people realize it or not. Now we are being watched everywhere, even more reason to watch.

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

James 1 says be quick to listen and slow to speak. I'm trying to learn this for sure!

Betty Lynn Pepka said...

Sure do miss you Deb