on the path of God's leading in pursuit of His glory

Monday, November 5, 2007

Are We a Drink Offering?

My favorite chapter in the Bible is Isaiah 58. In reading it recently, the verse that has been speaking to my heart is v:10 where it says, "... and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed ...". The words that popped out were "spend yourselves". How many of us spend ourselves on behalf of the hungry, satisfying the needs of the oppressed? The word spend implies emptying. To be spent means to give your all. The Apostle Paul discribes himself this way in 2 Tim 4:6, "For I am already being poured out like a drink offering..." And in Phil 2:17 he says the same thing. Now this is one man who gave his all on behalf of the Gospel, & the people he ministered to. He wrote in 2 Cor. 12:15, "So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well." I ponder this, are we a drink offering unto the Lord? Drink offerings were added to sacrifices & other offerings made unto the Lord in the Old Testiment. Do we sacrifice all that we have that the world may know, that the captives be set free? In Titus 3 it says that God did the ultimate "pouring out" when He showed us His mercy while we were still foolish & disodient. He saved us! We should be willing to be used whenever God desires.

No comments: