on the path of God's leading in pursuit of His glory

Monday, September 22, 2008

Fresh Spaghetti Sauce

We started last week to once again process our tomatoes into either spaghetti sauce or just canned tomatoes. If I have enough left over I will make pizza sauce. But I rarely make pizza any more. This is a month later than we usually get it going, because of the lack of rain in August.


Since Dan had to work, that left Aaron & Andrew to pick the tomatoes. But they made some fun out of it.



















They got 5 of these 5 gallon buckets & 3 small buckets full of tomatoes for me to cut up.















It's an all day process for us just to get them juiced.
After I clean & cut them in half, Aaron ran them through the Victorio Strainer, which take off the skin & gets rid of the seeds.

He dumps the juice into a big 20 quart pot & 2 of the biggest cooking pot that we have to cook down as much of the juice as possible making it thicker. I cook it down until it's just in this 20 qt. pot. then I add the sugar & spices, and ummmm, is it oh so good!



Then I can 7 quart jars at a time to put up for the year. Last year I had 54 jars made; only 4 are left. With 4 big guys in the house, we go through 2 jars each meal.








This is a good start! God is so good isn't He?!

5 comments:

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

Yumm! I wish I had one of those doo hickeys!

Nicky said...

I always love your sauce

Anonymous said...

are we getting some for christmas???
(just checking)-vicki Ps you're making me hungry.

Debbie said...

Of course!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait, always love your sauces. When Can I come get some veggies? Yummo!